Breast Lift or Mastopexy in Los Angeles
What is mastopexy or breast lift?
Unfortunately for women with age, pregnancy, or weight loss or gain come numerous changes in the size, shape, and elasticity of your breasts. Many women may experience sagginess or droopiness in their breasts that will only be temporarily corrected with a lifting bra. However, there are long-term options to restore breasts to a more youthful, perky position. Sometimes the areola becomes enlarged over time, and a breast lift will reduce this as well. A breast lift can rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is youthful and uplifted. Breast lift surgery can be performed with or without breast implants. Dr. Hovsepian believes that breast procedures such as a breast lift surgery can give women the opportunity to look and feel beautiful, confidant, and feminine every day without having to rely only on a bra.
Are you a candidate for a breast lift?
Many women say that they dislike the scooped out appearance of the breasts and the loss of fullness in the upper part of the breast. Others are seeking a breast lift to regain the full, pert, projecting breast that they had in their teens. If you like the size of your breast post-pregnancy, you may be a candidate for a breast lift. If, however, you liked that your breasts were fuller during pregnancy, you may be a candidate for a breast augmentation or a breast lift with implants. At your consultation Dr. Hovsepian will evaluate if you are a good candidate for breast lift surgery. You and Dr. Hovsepian will have a thorough discussion about your desired outcome, along with your past and present health condition. After this appointment you will leave knowing if you are a candidate for breast lift surgery, a clear understanding of how breast lift is performed, the recovery, and much more.
How is a breast lift performed?
Breast lift surgery is done under general anesthesia at an accredited surgery center; you will be completely asleep during this procedure. During surgery Dr. Hovsepian will remove excess skin and lift the breast. The breast will be re-shaped into more youthful and attractive contour. The further the breast has fallen, the more extensive the surgery will be. Dr. Hovsepian will generally perform the breast lift by one of three ways:
• Crescent mastopexy
• Benelli mastopexy
• Vertical lollipop mastopexy
Crescent mastopexy- When the nipple has fallen only slightly, you may be a candidate for a crescent mastopexy. This procedure involves removing a small crescent of breast skin and breast tissue directly above the areola (the colored area around the nipple). You are left with a small incision above the areola.
Benelli mastopexy-?If the nipple must be moved a little higher the best procedure may be the circumareolar mastopexy of Benelli. This involves removing a donut shaped piece of skin around the areola and attaching the remaining breast skin. The scar is circular and encompasses the areola. This procedure is also sometimes referred to as a Benelli breast lift or a Donut mastopexy.
Vertical lollipop mastopexy- The last approach is the best for severe breast ptosis. In this approach the skin is removed around the areola and also on the lower part of the breast gland. The scar is around the areola and also vertically down the front of the breast, as a 'lollipop' scar.
What are the risks of breast lift surgery?
With any surgery there are incisions, scars will be imminent when undergoing breast lift surgery. However, Dr. Hovsepian is very meticulous about his incision placement and closure technique to give each patient as minimal of a scar as possible. Every person’s ability to heal varies on genetics and physical characteristics. If you’re worried about scarring Dr. Hovsepian will speak with you about many scar-minimizing techniques that can be used after your surgery. Changes in nipple sensation are not uncommon since the procedure involves repositioning the nipples.
What a breast lift can do
• By lifting (or decreasing) the underlying breast tissue, the procedure enables breasts to sit higher up on your chest in a more visually enhancing position.
• A breast-lift procedure actually reshapes the entire breast to provide newer, aesthetically pleasing concurs.
• To improve the firmness of your breasts or increase the size, you may opt to have implants inserted at the same time as you are undergoing the breast-lift surgery.
• Results of the procedure are long-term if you maintain your weight and use proper bra support.
What a breast lift cannot do
• A breast-lift procedure does not increase the size of your breasts. You may have an option to insert implants during the surgery if you would like larger breasts.
• A breast-lift does not free you from wearing a bra. If you opt to go braless frequently, you may begin to sag again.
• A breast-lift does not prevent future changes in your breasts if you gain excessive weight or if you get pregnant. It is usually recommended to wait until you’re finished having children before undergoing a breast-lift.
What is the recovery process for a breast lift surgery?
The recovery process will vary from person to person and depending on how extensive your surgery is. After surgery many women return home the same day of surgery. Still, there are some basic precautions and instructions that you can take to help this recovery go as smoothly as possible, including:
• Arrange for someone to help you get around the house and help you with your medication for at least the first 24 hours after your breast lift. You may need medication for the pain and to control nausea caused by the pain medication.
• Avoid heavy lifting, contact sports and jogging for up to six weeks.
• Call your Dr. Hovsepian immediately if you notice an increase in swelling, pain, redness, drainage, bleeding in the surgical area or if you develop fever, dizziness, nausea or vomiting. Other red flags include shortness of breath, chest pains and unusual heartbeat.
• Wearing a sports bra for 4-6 weeks may be required.
For a consultation with Dr. Hovsepian and for more information about a breast lift please contact us.