Beverly Hills Breast Augmentation - Augmentation Mammoplasty
What is breast augmentation?
Today almost every woman has heard of breast augmentation or has even known someone who has had the surgery. Dr. Hovsepain performs breast augmentation surgeries in Newport Beach and Beverly Hills. Women of all ages are having breast augmentation done for a multitude of reasons. Selecting the right surgeon is the most important part of having surgery. Breast augmentation, technically known as augmentation mammoplasty, is a surgical procedure to enhance the size and shape of a woman's breast for a number of reasons:
• To enhance the body contour of a woman who, for personal reasons, feels her breast size is too small
• To restore breast volume lost due to weight loss or following pregnancy
• To achieve better symmetry when breasts are moderately disproportionate in size and shape
• To improve the shape of breasts that are sagging or have lost firmness, often used with a breast lift procedure
• To provide the foundation of a breast contour when a breast has been removed or disfigured by surgery to treat breast cancer
• To improve breast appearance or create the appearance of a breast that is missing or disfigured due to trauma, heredity, or congenital abnormalities
By inserting an implant behind each breast, Dr. Hovsepian is able to increase a woman's bust line by one or more bra cup sizes.
Are you a candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation can enhance your appearance and your self-confidence. The best candidates for breast augmentation are women who are looking for improvement, not perfection, in the way they look. If you're physically healthy and realistic in your expectations, you may be a good candidate. Before you decide to have surgery, think carefully about your expectations and discuss them with Dr. Hovsepian. At your consultation Dr. Hovsepian will evaluate if you are a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery. You and Dr. Hovsepian will have a thorough discussion about your desired outcome, along with your past and present health condition. After this appointment you will leave knowing if you are a candidate for breast lift surgery, a clear understanding of how breast augmentation is performed, the recovery, and much more.
How is a breast augmentation performed?
The method of inserting and positioning your breast implant will depend on your anatomy and preferences, and Dr. Hovsepian's recommendation. The incision can be made either in the crease beneath the breast, around the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). The choice of incision is based on your own preference in combination with the recommendation given by Dr. Hovsepian, according to your individual anatomy and the type of breast implant used. Breast augmentation surgery is done under general anesthesia at an accredited surgery center; you will be completely asleep during this procedure. During surgery Dr. Hovsepian will lift your breast tissue and skin to create a pocket, either directly behind the breast tissue (sub-mammary or sub-glandular placement) or may be placed beneath the pectoral muscle and on top of the chest wall (sub-muscular placement). Once the implant is positioned within this pocket, the incisions are closed with sutures, skin adhesive and/or surgical tape. A gauze bandage will be applied over your breasts to help with healing. The surgery usually takes one to two hours to complete.
For many women, the result of breast augmentation can be satisfying, even exhilarating, as they learn to appreciate their fuller appearance. Your decision to have breast augmentation is a highly personal one that not everyone will understand. The important thing is how you feel about it. If you've met your own personal goals, then your surgery is a success. Dr. Hovsepian uses dissolving stitches to close the incisions, which will also be taped for greater support. A surgical bra is recommended, and will be provided for you after the surgery. Your scars will be firm and pink for at least six weeks. After several months, your scars will begin to fade. You're likely to feel tired and sore for a few days following your surgery, but you'll be up and around in 24 to 48 hours. You should be able to return to work within a few days, depending on the level of activity required for your job.
What are the risks of breast augmentation?
As with any surgical procedure, mild swelling and discomfort may follow the surgery. Some women have reported alteration in nipple or skin sensation. These symptoms usually disappear within time, but may be permanent in some patients.With any surgery there are incisions, when undergoing breast augmentation however, Dr. Hovsepian is very meticulous about his incision placement and closure technique to give each patient as minimal of a scar as possible. Every person’s ability to heal varies on genetics and physical characteristics. If you’re worried about scarring Dr. Hovsepian will speak with you about many scar-minimizing techniques that can be used after your surgery.
What is the recovery process for breast augmentation?
The recovery process will vary from person to person. After surgery you will return home the same day of surgery. Still, there are some basic precautions and instructions that you can take to help this recovery go as smoothly as possible, including:
• Arrange for someone to help you get around the house and help you with your medication for at least the first 24 hours after your breast augmentation. You may need medication for the pain and to control nausea caused by the pain medication.
• Avoid heavy lifting, contact sports and jogging for up to six weeks.
• Call your Dr. Hovsepian immediately if you notice an increase in swelling, pain, redness, drainage, bleeding in the surgical area or if you develop fever, dizziness, nausea or vomiting. Other red flags include shortness of breath, chest pains and unusual heartbeat.
• Wearing a sports bra for 4-6 weeks may be required.
For a consultation with Dr. Hovsepian and for more information about a breast augmentation please contact us.